View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 12:27 PM
gabeliscious

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
More than Lundqvist, Rinne, or Price.

Also, age or contract is not an argument for how good a player he is.
im not sure if in the modern nhl a player can be evaluated solely on his play on the ice. this is part of the reason why players with lesser stats can still have tremendous value.

if we are discussing luongos caliber as a goalie in a vacuum then it is difficult to dismiss statistical evidence. the thing is we are discussing his "value" which is in relation to variables such as stats, age, contract, past performance during important games, etc, etc.

a goalie such as halak who most would agree is not as good as luongo would still force a reasonable person to consider the benefit of having halak over luongo. why would that be? age + contract = the great equalizer. dont get me wrong i would like luongo on the leafs very badly but his contract + his age seriously reduces his value and masks his true value much in the same way that jeff finger will likely never play a game in the nhl because of the ridiculous contract he was given. obviously these a two completely different type of players and situations but i contend that had finger been given a contract for $1-1.5 million he would be playing on the bottom pairing on the leafs and likely have been a fan favorite. my point with finger is that his contract killed his value the same as luongos contract is killing his. had luongo been signed for only a 5-7 year deal then his value would be higher.

it is because of this contract that halak with his career sv% of 918 and career gaa of 2.43 while being 6 years younger then luongo and making apx. 1/2 of what luongo makes for a third of his term makes halak the more valuable goalie in todays nhl. contrastly luongo has a career sv% of 919 and a career gaa of 2.52. halaks playoff numbers are actually better then luongos as well.

i used halak as an example but price, lundqvist, and rinne would all be the same thing. younger goalies who are statistically equal without the excessive contract