View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We don't need elite prospects, we need elite players. Shea Weber was not an elite prospect initially. Pekka Rinne never was. Roman Josi wasn't, either, but he could turn into a top-pairing defenseman.

Nashville's ability to hit home runs with middle round picks simply shows that you don't need to suck for ten years to get good players. Look where all of the "elite prospects" have gotten Edmonton so far. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle are just going to waste on a perennial cellar-dweller.
Props go to the amazing scouting staff. The ability to turn a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round draft pick into an NHL player is far more valuable than getting the "right" guy in the 1st round which is hit or miss much of the time. Yes there haven't been alot of high-ceiling players go through the system lately, but almost every one of them have a solid foundation to which they can build upon and evolve in the right environment. This organization has done a fantastic job on draft day the last few years if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfever View Post
I think people are going to be surprised how well Watson does. He is very versatile and I think he will do well in the NHL.
I've been preaching this kid for a while. All effort all the time.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote