View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Karmanos was a small market owner that triggered one of the offer sheets that blew the lid off salaries. The other one of course was NYR's offer to Sakic. What do you call Jacobs offer sheet to Marty Lapointe when he was with Detroit?

See, it's really difficult to blame the players when it was the owners' sometimes petty personal disputes that drove some of this stuff. There was pressure as well, pressure to keep their stars and to become or remain competitive. I don't think that happens when talent is abundant.
Chicago to Keith Tkachuk (Winnipeg).
NYR to Joe Sakic (Colorado).
Philadelphia to Chris Gratton (Tampa Bay).
Toronto to Mattias Ohlund (Vancouver).
Carolina to Sergei Fedorov (which had the massive poison pill for making the conference finals; the salary and signing bonus weren't anything special)

Marty Lapointe wasn't an offer sheet case; he was a Group V free agent (10 years in the NHL, less than the NHL average salary).

In any case, all four salary-ratcheting RFA offer sheets were a case of a large-market team going after a small-market team.

I don't blame the players one bit; I blame a system that allowed owners to simply wage economic warfare against each other. That's the type of crap that MLB has seen but refuses to deal with, and it still exists today in the NHL (as the Shea Weber offer sheet bears out).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote