Old
12-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Chicago to Keith Tkachuk (Winnipeg).
NYR to Joe Sakic (Colorado).
Philadelphia to Chris Gratton (Tampa Bay).
Toronto to Mattias Ohlund (Vancouver).
Carolina to Sergei Fedorov (which had the massive poison pill for making the conference finals; the salary and signing bonus weren't anything special)

Marty Lapointe wasn't an offer sheet case; he was a Group V free agent (10 years in the NHL, less than the NHL average salary).

In any case, all four salary-ratcheting RFA offer sheets were a case of a large-market team going after a small-market team.

I don't blame the players one bit; I blame a system that allowed owners to simply wage economic warfare against each other. That's the type of crap that MLB has seen but refuses to deal with, and it still exists today in the NHL (as the Shea Weber offer sheet bears out).
This is the exact reason I cannot find favor for the owners at all in this dispute.

Every CBA since Bettman, its the same thing about the economics, the health of all franchises, etc, etc.

Yet the second the CBA is ratified, its every owner for themselves regardless of the impact on the game or the league.

IMO this doesn't swing both ways, the owners can't claim they need adjustments to the system for the long term health of the game, then do everything in their power to screw it up.

IMO this mess is totally the owners doing, yet amazing there are people that blame the players.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote