View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It didn't have a lighter tone at all. The tone was just as grim, serious, and violent as LOTR, except this time nothing mattered, nothing had any weight to it and there were no consequences for actions. It was a video game writ large, and a bad one at that.
Saw the movie last night...

I agree with what you said here, except I would argue that due to the lack of weight/consequences the tone was lighter.

I'm a fan of myth and fantasy in a general sense but I haven't read any of Tolkien's books (yet), so I don't bring with me the aesthetic baggage that a fan of the literature might. So, as far as changes to the book goes I can't comment but I will say that the overall storytelling in comparison to LOTR was sorely lacking to me. I saw the movie after work and was on the sleepy side, which didn't help, but the slow parts felt sluggish at best and the action sequences weren't on the level of those in LOTR.

My feelings on the movie are probably also biased because part of the attraction of LOTR was the difference in characters (plenty of elves, humans, dwarves, hobbits, etc.) while The Hobbit was primarily dwarves, a race that seems to lack a bit in the depth of personality department. On this aspect I'm not sure if it's the dwarves I'm not crazy about or Jackson's presentation of them.

I haven't had a chance to really sit back and process what I saw but the way you phrased the film's lack of weight felt pretty spot on. Does the book come across that way? I approach literature and film differently and with different expectations. If I like an author's style I can read book after book without needing to be yanked in by some heavy burden or anguish experienced by the protagonist; film just doesn't operate on that same aesthetic level, IMO mainly because of the time spent taking in the material.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote