View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You couldn't be more wrong about both Yzerman and Bowman. Bowman is the creator of the left wing lock which is the initial form of the neutral zone trap. He demands that his centers are defensively strong which is what he did with both Lemaire and Yzerman.

It is nothing short of laughable when you say that Bowman just asked Yzerman to backcheck once in a while. Find me that quote..........lol

If you understand the tactical aspect of the game and Bowman's philosophy you would know that systems don't call for "once in a while" efforts. Systems require adherence and consistency......otherwise the system doesn't work. Pierre Larouche is an example of a player who didn't want to backcheck and he found himself consistently benched and eventually traded from Bowman's team. So much for him letting his skilled players play as Larouche had more skill on that team than anyone not named Lafleur, and even that is debatable.

As for the comment about Beliveau.............he was a great two way center, I am not sure what weak point you were trying to make. It is possible to put up big point totals while playing a complete game as players like Crosby, Francis, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Gilmour can attest to. It is crucial that your best offensive players are your best players in all three zones if you want win championships. If you don't believe me just ask Bowman and Yzerman as they have proven as much.

Obviously every player is different and there are a few - very few players Bowman knew not to expect much defensively from - Lafleur especially. But if you want Galchenyuk to play center, that's not going to be acceptable.

You can't always outscore the opposition. Just ask the Washington Capitals who couldn't even get passed Jacques Martin's Habs.