Old
12-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I might be misreading the opinions of others, but I don't get the sense that the "blame the players" mentality goes any farther back than September. It really seems like something that's entirely based on their behavior during this specific negotiation, not an historical trend.
I think it's all connected. Player salaries became a focal point during the last lockout. Well, we're talking about the things that made so many things go off the rails. The current lockout is trying to fix (allegedly) what the last CBA failed to do, but it still contains things that were so screwed up from the inception that trying to fix just by ratcheting share of HRR downward and limiting contracts seems a fool's folly at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
It always happens to a degree, but you are right if there isn't sufficient supply of high quality players the price for that commodity rises.

However this problem is on the owners as well, they opted for expansion dollars with little regard to the fact that the demand for top quality players was far beyond the supply.
And I think this very element is what lured so many teams with deeper pockets into the lifetime contract business.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote