View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 08:00 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss53mech View Post
Bringing this back from the dead.

Had a pretty good knee injury while afloat so my workout program kind of got shot in the ass. finally got home last on sunday. I was like a little kid at christmas opening all my gear up. Happily it all seems to fit pretty good. Went with a couple of friends and just kind of skated and shot the puck around for a bit. My puck and ball handling is atrocious, but according to my buddy I have a pretty decent shot for a guy who has never held a hockey stick. Was fun but I was definately falling all over myself out there. No shame in my game I'll be back for more.

Question though. The muscles in the bottom of my foot started to hurt pretty bad after only about 15 minutes of off and on skating. I don't remember that ever happening to me before and couldn't figure out why it was happening. It almost seemed like I was putting a bunch of pressure on my toes due to the natural forward lean of the skate boot but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone know if this is related to the way I'm skating or maybe if my skate isn't fitting correctly even though I think it feels pretty decent. The skates are mission Axiom T10's which had pretty good reviews and I'm found them on clearance so I just bought them. I was skating with just skates, shorts, shirt, stick and puck this time. I plan on gearing up pretty much the whole way next time so I'm not really afraid to fall down. Any advice is still appreciated.
Sounds like you're in very good shape, at this point almost all of your improvement will come from ice time. The more you get out there, the better. Wearing full gear is a great idea, you'll progress much faster if you aren't afraid of falling.

As for pain on the bottom of your foot, that's very common. There could be any number of causes. Your arch could need more support, in which case you'll want some insoles (like yellow Superfeet). You might be tying your skates too tight, if you have skates that fit well you really shouldn't have to go that tight, "snug" should be fine. You could simply be tensing up your foot when you skate, because you aren't yet comfortable on the ice. Try lacing up a bit looser, and concentrate on keeping your feet relaxed, see if that helps. For a lot of people, there will always be some level of foot pain when skating, but you want it to be a low level that doesn't bug you much, not unbearable pain that forces you off the ice.

However, another cause of pain on the bottom of your foot is poorly fitting skates (often skates that are too narrow, or that lack volume). A good fit for skates means that when your skates are tied up:

1) Your toes should be as close as possible to the ends of the toe cap without touching. Light touching is fine, no touching is also fine, but you shouldn't have more than about 1/4" of extra space beyond your toes. A rule of thumb is that your skates should be ~2 sizes lower than your shoes (i.e. size 11 shoes = size 9 skates), but it varies widely from person to person

2) The fit should be snug throughout your entire foot. Not overly tight so you're being squished, but snug, light pressure everywhere and no negative space. The only exception is by the toes, where most skates are built to be roomy. Also, when trying on skates, err on the side of too little space vs. too much. When you bake the skates, and wear them in, they'll get a bit more volume, you don't want them to become loose when this happens

3) The heel lock should be great. You shouldn't be able to lift your heel off the footbed in your skates, it should be totally locked in

4) With the skates unlaced, the top of your foot should more or less follow the top of the skate (by the eyelets). Your foot sticking way out means you need a skate with more volume, your foot sinking far into the skate means you need a skate with less volume

The chance that your current skates fit well is pretty low. Even if you happen to have chosen the right size (i.e. 8, 8.5, 9, etc.) and the right width (generally D/normal or E/EE/wide), chances are that the specific brand/model you have chosen isn't a great fit for your feet. I could easily try on 10+ brands/lines of skates in the right size/width, and only have 1-2 brands/lines fit me well. If you ordered your skates online somewhat blindly, you probably ended up with skates that aren't a very good fit. You're unlikely to get a good fit without going into a shop and trying a bunch of skates on to really see which specific brand, model, size and width works best for you.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote