View Single Post
Old
12-20-2012, 09:32 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
How to follow the NHL while minimizing financial support?

Some people are willing to stop following the NHL entirely after this lockout, but most of us aren't. However, many would still like to show their displeasure, and the only meaningful way to do this is to hit the league where it hurts: revenue. Let's brainstorm the best ways to follow the NHL when it comes back, without going so far as to stop following NHL hockey.

Here are my ideas, feel free to discuss and add your own:

1) Do not buy tickets to any games for at least 5 years, just watch the games on TV or online

2) Do not buy any NHL merchandise (jerseys, shirts, hats, flags, etc.), unless we're talking used gear or knockoffs. I'm a bit hesitant about this one, though, as it would hurt retailers who have no say in the lockouts

3) Do everything possible to avoid contributing to high advertising rates. As far as I know, these rates are set largely based on Nielsen meters (in a limited number of homes) and surveys, with data from cable TV providers also being used. Basically, if it's a survey, don't admit to watching the NHL. If you have a Nielsen meter, immediately change the channel the moment advertisements start. Do this regardless in case data is collected by the cable companies (do DVRs and digital cable boxes have means of transmitting data on what you've been watching? My guess is yes, but it would be good to know for sure). Alternately, stream games through unofficial sources whenever possible. Basically, if you continue to watch games, do everything possible to avoid actions that will contribute to advertising revenue