Thread: Value of: Carl Gunnarsson for a forward
View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 06:44 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
That would be impossible (due to sides), Gunnar would most likely be "Ballarded" on the 3rd pairing. ~15 min 3rd pairing dman.

I like Gunnarsson I think he's a fine top 4 guy and his salary this season is a steal. Unfortunately due to the Leafs D depth I think he's overplayed.

I can't see any situation where he gets dealt and a D isn't headed back to TO.
Sides are the most overhyped aspect of a defenceman on hfboards. When it comes to 5on5 and shorthanded play, it really doesn't matter. NHL defencemen for the most part are perfectly capable of playing both.

Gunnarsson is of course overplayed, but there's a reason for that. He's our only top 4 capable shutdown defenceman... and when a guy is overplayed, it's highly unlikely that he's going to be traded.

The only time handedness is a factor, is on the PP, when you really want at least one guy playing the off-side to set up a 1-timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Seguin - Won't happen for obvious reasons.

Bergy - Future captain and quintessential Bruin.

Seidenberg - Would be a sideways move at best but I like Seids more than Gunnar (just personal preference).

Krejci - Perhaps a deal could be made here but the Leafs would have to add a significant piece.
Which is exactly why Gunnarsson's going nowhere. As many leafs fans have repeatedly mentioned, he's grossly overvalued in Toronto and worth more to us than anyone else.

Seidenberg would be a sideways move at best -- for the Leafs. Then you factor in that Seidenberg is 5 years older than Gunnarsson, and the Bruins would likely have to add a significant piece.

Krejci might work, but seeing as he's not good enough to be a #1 centre that we're happy with, the Leafs certainly wouldn't be prepared to add much, if anything at all.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote