View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
http://bigdata.lahtis-enterprises.co...850fbd2becbe3b

I don't know about regular shift in terms of consistency, but Spott did play him on a lot. I saw him out a lot when we were down a goal, which makes sense, since he was playing better than a lot of the d. I personally couldn't careless how the defence is slotted, as long as Canada wins, which didn't happen.

I find a lot of value in Murphy as the seventh dman, only in the sense that when we need a goal like yesterday, we can slot him anywhere into the line up and because of his individual puck possesion skills rushes where he can bring the puck up the ice, he has the ability to be with any defensive partner and still be just as effective even with Rielly, while still not disrupting the other lines. Even if he is not 7th dman like, I'm glad Spott is using Murphy efficiently in several different scenarios and partners. If he ends up finding good chemistry with someone, I'm all for it.
Thanks for finding that stat sheet. Interesting to see that Murphy only played 3 more shifts than Wotherspoon, but since his shifts were on average 14 seconds longer, he played six and a half more minutes. Also, Tyler played over half his shifts in the first period.

Impossible to call one or the other the seventh defenseman at this point though. The lines clearly aren't set.

I find huge value in Ryan when he plays a more dynamic game. He really can pass through seams well. I just really question his instincts, as he seems to always hold the puck too long and tries to beat one more guy than necessary. He could be one of the best players on the team and a huge asset if he plays as part of the team.

And to me, he is the weakest defenseman in our own zone. He is physically outmatched and coupled with his tendency to want to skate it out, he can be a liability. I really want him to play at his best and be a team player because he could be truly exceptional if he did.