View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
If they factor quality of goaltender, that makes Couturier's numbers even more impressive

And no, he did not sustain that pace. I think he dropped to 1.50 by the end of the season, maybe worse. He was possibly helped by Timonen also having a beastly run from mid November until he started breaking down in late Dec/early Jan.

You're right, GAON/60 isn't all that great for comparing players on different teams because goalie quality isn't accounted for. But it's very good for comparing players on the same team.

Edit: The main reason I mention Couturier is that he's great for showing how effective the stat can be; the eyeball test showed Couturier was easily the best defensive forward on his team, and the stat showed the same thing. In that case it's easy to test how reliable it is because there was such obvious separation between his skill and his teammates' skill, and the stat reflected it. The Flyers were a good testbed because they had one forward who was very good defensively, 2-3 other guys who were adequate, and the rest...not so much. The standout player stood out.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-21-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote