View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I don't understand how people can root against their own country. I can't do it even if I tried.
Not everyone who lives in Canada is FROM Canada...

Also, I live near Montreal... Do I have to be a Habs fan or can I continue to cheer for the Sens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I've never understood the mentality that people should cheer for the country they happen to be from.

Most people don't get to choose where they are born. If you don't have a choice in something, what is there to be proud of?

Nationalism is silly. Saying I'm Canadian is as relevant to me as saying I have a certain colour hair, or am of a certain height, or was born on a certain date. I don't cheer for people just because they have same same hair colour, or are my height, or were born on the same day as me. And I don't necessarily cheer for people born in the same place as me, either. "Canadian" is a description of what I am. It's not who I am.
This. I love my original country to death but when it comes to sports, I can cheer for any team I like the most (for example I rooted for Germany in the 1990 World Cup). I have been rooting for Sweden in hockey since Alfredsson.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote