View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 06:09 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss53mech View Post
I'm not calling anybody wrong as I am obviously the new guy here for advice. However, I think they fit pretty good. The heel definately locks in with no vertical movement. The pressure on the top and sides of my foot is very even when laced, and my foot doesn't slide inside the skate when moving. My toes don't touch when standing/gliding but when I push off hard or stomp they just touch the tip of the boot. I figure if the skate volume goes up a bit with break in I should get to a point where there is no contact. the only place I don't feel it has a real good fit is right on the sides of my ankle. the skate has pads built in on either side of the bone that sticks out of the ankle and either my bone is really protruding from my ankle a lot or those pads need to break in. they seem really tight right in that area. Odly enough the pain was considerably worse in my right foot than the left but lessened as I kept skating. I'll get them baked and see if that takes care of the pad problem. gonna grab the last of my equipment while I'm down there as well. I'll update this once I get it all on and try it again.
It's possible that you lucked out and got a great fitting skate from an online order having never tried it on before, it's just very unlikely. Also, the fact that you're getting serious pain on the bottom of your foot just 15 minutes into skates suggests that your skates might have fit issues. Agreed with Jarick that I'd definitely like to know exactly where your foot is hurting.

It can also be very hard to judge whether or not a skate fits well if you haven't tried on and skated in a lot of skates. You have no reference, nothing to compare them with. As long as skates are roughly the right size and width, they will feel more or less like a good fit, more or less like they hug your feet properly, but small differences in fit can make a big difference in comfort and performance. Your opinion of what a good and bad fit feels like may change with time as you experience more skates. It's like if you'd never had chocolate before, then had your first chocolate ever, even if you liked it'd you'd have a tough time rating it against other chocolates. But if you've tried a tonne of different chocolates, you'd have a much better idea of what's out there, and would be able to tell much more easily whether it's the perfect chocolate for your tastes, a pretty good chocolate, or a chocolate that really isn't that great for you.

From your description, it sounds like the length is about right, and the heel lock sounds fine. Overall volume/tightness/shape is really tough to judge until you've tried on a lot of skates, only experience can really tell you the perfect balance (too loose means poor performance, too tight means pain). What you currently consider to be a decent fit through the foot might indeed be good, or you might realize that it's a bit tight or a bit loose after trying on a bunch of other skates. It sounds like the ankle padding doesn't fit your ankles well, but if they're heat moldable skates then that area normally molds fairly well after you bake them, so that problem could potentially be fixed with a bake.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote