View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 07:33 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Well there's your problem because you should. You can't force citizenship upon someone. And he still grew up with a Canadian family living abroad. I think your discounting the effect his mother and father had on his hockey career. Have you never met someone who had to live elsewhere for work purposes but still identifies their country as somewhere else?
I'm not talking about his citizenship, or what his parents feel like. My only interest in him is as a hockey player, and to me he is clearly an American hockey player. What he is as a person I don't know, or care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Not sure why anyone would think that Sean Day (with Canadian mother and father) would choose the U.S. just because he played most or all of his hockey here. I'm assuming that Sean was born in the Canada and parents moved here for personal/professioal reasons. There is no reason for his parents to promote USA hockey in that situation or for Sean to think USA hockey. If I moved my family right now to Sweden and any of them became good at hockey, I can't see a situation where USA hockey would be pusehed aside by myself or kids, no matter who much Sweden had a hand in their development.

Sean's parents have had just as big of a hand in his development as the Detroit teams he has played for (Little Caesar's and now Compuware) You do not reach the level he is at without a family that has promoted the individual skill development he has developed. I would say that mother and father have had a hand in that smooth stride, either their work with him or paying for someone to work with him.
Day wasn't born in Canada, and it doesn`t seem that he ever lived in Canada. If having Canadian parents involved in your hockey career makes you Canadian (and I do not believe that it does), someone should tell USA hockey that the sons of Canadian NHLers they seem to select with regularity belong to Canada.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote