View Single Post
Old
12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I think Maatta is a better version of Simon Despres (no, that does not mean Maatta is a future Norris winner, because some here think Despres is the next Jesus).

I think they play a similar two-way kind of game, and both make some mistakes & questionable decisions. But I think Maatta makes fewer mistakes overall, has better overall offensive potential, and is more likely to reach his potential than Despres, IMO. So I think his presence in our organization (now along with Dumoulin) renders Despres expendible.

If I had to choose two out of the 3, I would choose Maatta & Dumoulin; so considering all the other guys we have in the organization (Morrow, Harrington, Pouliot, even Niskanen, who is still young and likes to play the left side), I just see him as the most expendible of our D prospects...if everything continues to progress as I see it.
Eh. I think there's some big differences between Despres and Maatta. I see Maatta as a much smarter player, where with Despres, I'd probably call his hockey IQ average. I also think in terms of physical ability, Despres is miles ahead of Maatta. I honestly can't remember a guy who is 6'4 and 220-230 who can move like Simon Despres does. Maatta's wheels don't even come close to those of Despres.

I think offensively...very similar. Both will probably put up average point totals in the NHL, and I think both will be physically imposing, but won't be overly physical.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote