View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 01:39 AM
sinettiseura

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
As for Ristolainen I think if we compare him to 2 Finns about the same age. That way we can better put in perspective his value. Ristolainen is about the same age as Olli Määttä and Ville Pokka. Määttä ended up going about 20th overall to Pittsburgh and Pokka was an early 2nd round pick by the Islanders.

From what I can gather Ristolainen has never really dominated at any level. Not saying he's a bad player, but compared to Määttä and Pokka he hasn't been as good. Size and mobility is interesting in his case but he's more of a project at this point.
It would be intresting to here what our prospect guru Tormentor has to say on this. It is true that Ristolainen is a raw talent who needs polishing. He is a project. When it comes to Ristolainen not being dominant is agruable. Ristolainen hasn't really played with his own age group. When Pokka and Määttä were playing against their own age group Ristolainen was already playing against 1-2 years older players. But these were of course their junior years and players develope with different pace... My point was just that few years back his potential was evident and he was too dominant to play with his own age.

IMO Ristolainen is at this point as good as Pokka but his potential is much higher. And Pokka is quite underrated defenseman. Pokka is going to be NHLer eventhough he lacks explosiveness and size. Ristolainen doesen't and that's why I consider him 1st round talent. I was very high on him when season started but now I think that he will at 10-20 range. WJC could however change things because evaluating young defenseman playing against men is hard and now he has a chance to so what he can do against his peers.

sinettiseura is offline   Reply With Quote