View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Hmm? The article is from 1928 after Connell's only season leading the league in GAA and it's talking about the "state" of goaltending basically...so it's not talking about anyone's entire career I don't think. Just, "who's the best right now"

Sometimes you can just recognize when a goalie isn't as good as his stats would lead you to believe...not even just after one year, but after multiple years...

Connell, does seem to fall into that criteria, given the many opportunities to praise him and the overall lack of praise. Having looked through a number of game summaries from the pre-forward pass era, it's conceivable that he wasn't a top-5 player on his own team. Which is a shame because like I said, Connell is someone I was hoping would emerge from this a little more prominently, but it's simply not there...anywhere...
My original statement on Connell:

"However, since then I have learned that even if you have the all-time very best statistic in a category like Goals Against Average (as Connell has) it really means almost nothing."

Clearly, you agree.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote