Old
12-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
In the 31-32 season Connell was the top player on his team. Only one team in the league scored less goals than the Detroit Falcons. Yet on this team Connell had the second best GAA (to Charlie Gardiner) and got his team into the playoff.

In the 34-35 season Connell led the Montreal Moorons to the Cup. Though a more talented team than the Falcons, I don't see any of there players placing high in the scoring lists from that season. Toronto was 30-14-4 with Hainesworth in goal, 11 points ahead of the Maroons (24-19-5). But Connell led the league in shutouts with 9 and was again 2nd in GAA (to Chabot) with a 1.86. In the playoffs he dropped that down to a 1.12. Maroons swept Toronto 3-0.
That's all very possible, but I didn't really get to in-depth research on that part yet. I was talking about his career up until the forward pass. Perhaps you want to take over and paw through some game summaries too. I know in 1935 (as I did a profile for Connell in the pre-1950 goalies thread) he was regarded very highly for his playoff performance. Maybe there's even more to him than that. From accounts and voting of the time, from various years (pre-forward pass, just so I'm clear), I wouldn't assume that Connell was a top-3 player on his team at least, nor would I suppose that he's a top-3 goalie in the league at least.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote