View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Stewart isn't just a 15 goal scorer and he has proven that. Stewart doesn't need an elite playmaker feeding him gimmes, and his stretch with Berglund when he came here proved that.
26 games doesn't prove much to me. He's had a much larger sample size of not being able to do anything without an elite playmaker in St.Louis.

Quote:
Stewart would thrive in a wide open, run n gun, rushing offensive system, as he has one of the best backhand shots in the game. He isn't just a player that bangs in the trash in front of the net. Last season he just didn't have his burst of speed like he use to and he never got comfortable. Since he didn't have any injuries that would have caused him to lose his burst, it is reasonable to think that he can easily get that back, which would have a major impact on his game.
That's an oversimplification, IMHO. Stewart also has trouble with the cycle game (which the Pens put a pretty big emphasis on), and more than a few scoring wingers have found themselves relegated to the 4th line under Bylsma if they don't bring the requisite work ethic. It's hardly a "can't lose" proposition.

He may well re-find his scoring touch. If you think he can do it without an elite center in St.Louis, you'd best be served hanging onto him, because no responsible GM is going to give "30 goal scorer value" for a guy who underperformed like Stewart did last season. I'd sure be upset if mine did.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote