Thread: GDT: Lockout Thread II
View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
League revenues, and popularity in the United States, is at an all time high for the NBA. You are arguing a minority position... Which is fine, I like the NHL better than the NBA too, obviously. But to say the NBA model is broken, or worse, is ludicrous. In fact the NHL would be wise to borrow some of the positions taken by the NBA, in terms of league marketability, and the Television personalities on it's nationally televised broadcasts. Have you seen the guys who run the intermission reports on NBC sports, and NBC during the playoffs? I think I could do a better job, makes the NHL look like a Mickey Mouse League. That is just my own personal opinion, however.
The NBA is nowhere near as popular right now as it was in the 80's and 90's. They might be making more $$$ now, but that's because everything is more expensive. TV ratings now are dwarfed by those in the late 80's and 90's.

Personally, I think their financial model sucks. The haves and have nots are obvious before the seasons even start. But, I would love for the NHL to pickup some marketing tips from the NBA. There is great visibility and they do everything they can to push their telecasts. If there is one thing to be taken from the NBA, it's definitely the marketing.