View Single Post
12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Nathan MacKinnon
Believe in BLUE
vCash: 500
I was first introduced to the game of hockey at the age of 7 one day in Grade 3. As an Asian kid, I did not know much about hockey or what it meant to Canada. Many of my white friends were in love with this sport, and they told me I should check it out. Naturally, since I grew up in Burnaby, which is a suburb of Vancouver, the first team I checked out was the Vancouver Canucks. So I checked out game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals when the Canucks faced the Ducks. One of my first impressions was that it was a fast paced game and extremely exciting. I couldn't stop watching, I was hooked. After the Canucks were knocked out I watched the Ducks win the Cup and Scotty Niedermayer lifting the Cup.

The next season I was officially hooked, I watched the entire 2007-08 season, which was one of our worst seasons in awhile. We missed the playoffs, placing 10th in the West. In 08-09 we finished 3rd in the West and our rivalry with Chicago began. Then in 09-10 Henrik won the Art Ross and the Hart, and we once again lost to Chicago with Luongo ******** the bed. One of my fondest Canuck memories was the Daniel Sedin between the legs goal on Miikka Kiprousoff, with a Henrik Sedin assist in the last game of the season where Hank got 4 points to jump into the points lead and win the Art Ross.

Then came 2010-11. We finished 1st in the NHL and won the President's Trophy. Daniel Sedin won the Art Ross trophy and we made the playoffs. Two of my biggest Canuck memories ensued in this playoff run. First was the Burrows goal in OT against Chicago in game 7 which allowed us to finally beat Chicago in the playoffs for the first time in three years. Next came the Bieksa goal off the stanchion in 2OT in game 5 against the Sharks. We made it to game 7 of the cup finals but our team was just not good enough. I remember how happy I was when Burrows scored the goal in OT against Chicago, and I also remember how upset I was when we lost game 7 of the cup finals.

In 2011-12 we won the Presidents trophy but many of our players did not have as great a season as they did the year before. We bowed out in the first round against the LA Kings, who then won the cup.

Some things about me as a hockey fan:
Favorite team is clearly the Vancouver Canucks, second favorite would be the Pittsburgh Penguins
Favorite player is Henrik Sedin, favorite player in the rest of the league is Sidney Crosby
Favorite Canucks are Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin and Alex Burrows.
Most memorable Canuck moment:

I also really miss Christian Ehrhoff and I can't believe he walked and went to Buffalo, very upset, he was one of my favorite players in the league, he was a very solid defenseman. I also miss Cody Hodgson, hate that he wanted more playing time though it was understandable. He was a great prospect with a wicked shot and I feel if he stayed in Vancouver as the third line center he could have been amazing; learning the offensive game from Henrik and the defensive game from Kesler. But what's done is done.

I also like to say that I support Roberto Luongo. I don't feel that Luongo should be flamed for being a bad goalie, he is an elite goalie and arguably the best goalie the Canucks have ever had. I don't understand why you gotta hate, he is an amazing goalie. I don't get why you guys want to replace him with Schneider; sure Schneids is amazing however he has only ever played 30 games a season, once he gets the 60 game workload who is to say he won't start letting in weak goals as he suffers the grind of a 60 game season? Why do you have to run the best goalie in franchise history who brought us to game 7 of the cup finals out of town? We may never get a goalie like Roberto ever again. I love how Canuck fans blame Luongo for everything, I mean it's clearly Luongo's fault that the team could only score 8 goals in 7 games against the Bruins eh? It's clearly Luongo's fault that the team could only score 7 goals in 5 games against the Kings eh? Geezus open your eyes guys. While I agree that Schneider is great, he has never been exposed to the workload of a starter and I feel he may not be ready for it and/or not experienced enough. However I believe Luongo does not deserve all the hate he is getting when it clearly isn't his fault and I feel we've already gone over the line and he deserves to be traded away from these Vancouver fans that treat him like ****.

Nathan MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote