View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 01:34 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
when lindros came into the league, a number of defensemen said things like, "i thought mark messier was the strongest player ever, but this kid..."

but being that training and conditioning got so much better in the 90s, the argument can be made that messier was as physically dominant in the 80s and maybe early 90s as lindros was in his prime. the fear factor with messier was very real, and while it may have been a little lower than lindros', i don't think it's closer than a lot of posters here suggest. add the durability (and playing 75+ games a year vs. 65-ish has to count for dominance, even if we're just talking primes), twice as many harts, the demonstrably better playoff prime/peak, and being the undisputed leader and best player on two cup winners, and i have a hard time not going with messier here.

and really, even if we're just talking about a fighting contest, maybe even just a push-ups competition, hell even a body building contest, i don't know that messier wouldn't hold his own.
Depends how you define strength. I know Mario Lemieux never touched a weight in his life, but in the late 80s/early 90s I think he was stronger on his skates than Messier. Messier used his physical strength more aggressively, but nobody could move Mario off the puck. At all.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote