Thread: GDT: Lockout Thread II
View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
HockeyCA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
The NBA is nowhere near as popular right now as it was in the 80's and 90's. They might be making more $$$ now, but that's because everything is more expensive. TV ratings now are dwarfed by those in the late 80's and 90's.

Personally, I think their financial model sucks. The haves and have nots are obvious before the seasons even start. But, I would love for the NHL to pickup some marketing tips from the NBA. There is great visibility and they do everything they can to push their telecasts. If there is one thing to be taken from the NBA, it's definitely the marketing.
Bigger markets will always have an inherent advantage over every other market. That is never going to change. Television ratings I would argue are now a misnomer. They are down across the board, because of both the internet and DVR recordings.

I would also say their financial model is quite sound. How many teams do we hear about that needs an infusion of cash, needs to be relocated, or is under the threat of contraction? I would say at this point in time, that answer would be zero.