View Single Post
Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I don't actually see Snow's hand in this so you will need to explain that one to me... but who doesn't blame Wang? He was the author of the second worst contract in the NHL (that immediately blew up in any owner's face.) There is however a relationship there between Rick and Wang that warped this into more than just a greedy owner using an insurance-payout to get around the league minimum salary. It is more than just the contract. Rick is up on the squad because he himself wants to push the envelope and prove he isn't gimped when time and time again it is proven his joints aren't up to it. If Rick was Joe Schmoe on any other team he'd have been retired out or placed on a minor league team just for the recuperative angle while freeing up that extra roster spot. That goes beyond the contract, and beyond the need to meet league minimum salary requirements.

And as much as the "Rick is beyond reproach" crowd doesn't like it, no one in here fabricated the window of honesty he revealed when asked about the competition for goaltending. I get ego and great players, but when you struggle just to get up off the ice, maybe even the center of the Isleverse should perhaps be more contrite with his comments regarding team mates.
Hindsight is 20/20.

The only reason it is a horrible contract is because of Rick's injuries and being injury prone.

If Rick was putting together 35 win seasons? 40 win season? (He had back to back seasons of 30 & 32 wins. Nothing overly amazing, I know.)

If Rick was putting up 35-40 win seasons it would be one of the better contracts in the history of the NHL.