Thread: 1971 draft
View Single Post
12-22-2012, 09:42 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Another source I read indicated the Goalie in question was actually Vachon and that it was both Harper and Tremblay. But Bowman was an eyewitness, so I'll go with his account.

There was obviously a reason the Hab brass didn't okay the deal, so I'd imagine the package might have been better than what was presented in the article. You'd think, at a minimum, the Wings would want a center or high scoring winger included in the package.

The trade the Wings would eventually make to deal Dionne, already an established star, to the Kings wasn't that great either, and ironically included Harper (Dionne and Bart Crashley for Dan Maloney, Terry Harper and Los Angeles' 2nd round choice). Apparantly the Habs were also interested, but balked at the asking price of Ken Dryden.
Yes it is ironic that the Kings included Harper (who was a plus 6 on a team with a combined minus 183 but was 36 years old) in that lopsided trade, which went to show how inept the Red Wings management was at the time but Maloney aged 24 was a fairly valuable commodity in the mid 70's broad street bullies NHL and was a very good top line player (on non contending teams) until injuries set in, which for the Red Wings was 1 and 1/2 seasons.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote