View Single Post
Old
12-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Jarick, this guide is awesome. I was trying to put off the need for a new stick as I'm still looking to replace my pants that have become too large, but now I think a new stick is going to improve my game far more.

At the very least, your guide convinced me to cut down my stick a bit. I realized that the stick I use to practice stick handling in the basement is WAY shorter than the stick I play hockey with and I feel totally comfortable with it. For some reason, I never thought to compare them or try stickhandling in my basement with my game stick. Even standing on a pack of printer paper to simulate skate height, my game stick felt long and clumsy. I've long felt frustrated with my stickhandling ability given how often I play so we'll see how the shorter stick feels on the ice.

Currently I'm using a Bauer Vapor X:40 P92/Backstrom, 77 flex (now cut down to ~90) which felt downright whippy compared to the previously ill-advised stick I was sold (Bauer Vapor X:Shift) before I knew better.

But I know I need to get a new stick. At 5'10", 145 pounds, I was thinking I would need an intermediate stick but looking at the lengths I think I might be too tall. When a stick is listed as 57", what does that measure? Top to toe along the diagonal or is it just the length of the shaft?

Any suggestions on sticks would be appreciated. My pickups have a no-slapshot rule and I don't have one anyways, so I'd be looking for a low kickpoint. And to be frank, I'd put more emphasis on puck control than shooting.