View Single Post
Old
12-23-2012, 10:46 AM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
My God, we should have voted Alex Smith as a Top-60 D-Men. I mean, he MUST be the main factor behind the Falcons from 7th to 2nd in goals allowed!

In others words, when end-of-the-year voting doesn't fit with actual results, I'd rather throw off the voting than the results.

Also, the article says something about "Temperamentals". I wonder what does that mean in that context.

The 2nd AST gotten by Worters CAN actually make sense : his team was beyond terrible. The only head scratcher behind that is, if he was so awesome, how could a rather-old and non-NHL-seasoned anymore Jake Forbes could play a somewhat statistically significant total of games (6) with no actual "loss" for the Amerks.

This is why Connell finishing so far in the voting makes little sense -- unless we collectively overrated guys like Ching Johnson (amongst others -- Roach getting serious AST consideration, really?!?!) and severely underrate Alex Smith.

(Just pointing up : Ebbie Goodfellow was a center at that point. Probably not Top-200 material at that position)
Detroit's defence corps improved quite a bit in 1931-32. The addition of Alex Smith obviously helped. Doug Young joined the team and played his first season in a fine career. Aging HHOFer Reg Noble played a full season instead of missing 10 games. Stewart Evans and Harvey Rockburn, who had played full seasons on the blueline in 1930-31, were both sent to the IHL in 1931-32. The changes on the blueline would have helped their goals against improve.

Also, Detroit's scoring dried up in 1931-32. Why? They had the same forward group as 1930-31 for the most part. They added Hec Kilrea and Frank Carson, who forced out the aging George Hay. Goodfellow, Cooper, Aurie, Lewis, and Sorrell were all still there. Could it have been an increased focus on defensive play?

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote