Old
12-23-2012, 04:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit the Prog View Post
Attended my first game at The Spectrum in March 1976 when the Flyers trounced the Red Wings, 6-1. Great moment when there was a donnybrook behind the Wings' net about 10 rows below us. I remember Schultz dusting it up with Nick Libett but more memorable was Big Bird bouncing Hextall and his unnaturally red face all over the glass. It was midway through the second period and the Flyers' "nasties" took part in a five-on-five. Flyers fan for life.

One of my first games on TV was a Saturday in May 1974 when the Flyers beat the Rangers, 4-3 to clinch their first trip to the Cup. I was over my grandmother's house and I left between periods to see if the new packs of baseball cards had come in (they hadn't). The old man behind the counter said they have some of "these" cards, so that's how I purchased my first hockey cards. Walking across the field, opening my first pack, there staring back at me was the yellow-bordered, #30-wearing, unshaven face of Flyers goalie, Bernie Parent. As it turned out, there he was on TV as I walked back in the house. This collecting stuff was fun.

I remember Bladon's 4-4-8 game. Incredible. Some other highlights of that era: Al Hill's NHL-record five point (2G 3A) debut vs. the Blues, hearing Gene Hart saying as they were going into a commercial break during the May 1976 playoffs, "It's Reggie Leach - 5, the Boston Bruins 2," The Streak (natch), Terry O'Reilly's shaggy hair bouncing in odd-symmetry as yet another Behn Wilson punch landed to his face, Gene Hart bellowing, "We drafted a scoring machine!" when watching Brian Propp during his first Flyers' practice, the sheer terror in my heart every time Bobby Orr stepped on the ice, Schultz's two (!) hat tricks within eight days, loving to see The Moose Shuffle, NHL Showdown...

And I should not forget Peter Puck, who introduced me to the sport in a way I could understand while Gene Hart made me love it.
In my opinion (I think it was a Sunday game), the win against the Rangers is the most important in team history not a Cup Finals' game. Even more so than the win against the Soviets.

Orest Kindrachuk had a hat trick in that brawl-game against Detroit.

Bladon's 8 points were incredible and almost forgotten was he was +10 in that game.

Hill's game was broadcast nationally, too, through a syndicated outlet. I hope it was kept on film but I don't think it made the cut; I don't recall seeing any video.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote