Thread: Speculation: More Luongo Talk
View Single Post
Old
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Let's say you're right about what the PA "wants".

Considering this issue only affects the teams and not the players whatsoever (the players get paid no matter what, the teams that signed the contracts must eat the cap after the player retires) I would guess that the PA is only posturing on this issue and will give in provided the players get paid in full or the league concedes elsewhere.

The teams are the only entity to get punished with this new rule, and the team owners are asking for it to be applied to all contracts currently signed for 5+ years.

The players have nothing to gain if they push for grandfathering in contracts.
100% wrong. It's money coming out of the players end. They could double dip on these contracts currently. Example; If Luongo retires, and the Canucks have to keep his cap hit, that is 5.3 million they can not spend, and 5.3 million the NHLPA looses out on.

The only way I see the players conceding this is if there is a loop hole to get around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
In the Stanley Cup Final, the single most important set of games in his entire career, Luongo posted
a save percentage of .850 or lower in four of the seven games in the Final. Disturbingly, in two of the games his save percentage was below .800. If Vancouver had even a half-way decent goalie, they win that series and the Cup. Instead, they didn't just get less then adequate goaltending, they received awful net minding, and it cost them. If you think in any way, shape or form he compares on any level to what Tim Thomas did that spring, you are confused, mis-informed or perhaps just a pathological liar. It's like comparing a triangle to a bag or marbles and marvelling at their similarity. Vancouver got to the Final that year in spite of Luongo, not because of him. Amazingly, he had SEVEN games where he posted a save percentage below .850 in that one playoff run. Anyway you slice it, that's just plain awful and players that **** the bed come playoff time not surprisingly don't fetch huge hauls in a trade. He's so widely inconsistent that no team can seriously pin their hopes on him. In the playoffs, the guy is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and that's a risk very few GM's - including Mike Gillis - want to take. In last years playoffs, he played just two games, one of them, again with a sub .850 save percentage and the year before the trip to the Final, Luongo played 12 playoff games for the Canucks and delivered a save percentage of .857 or lower in FIVE of the games. Teams don't win championships with that kind of "clutch" goaltending. Vancouver fans seem to think that nobody understands why the Canucks want to trade Luongo. We all get it. What we don't quite understand is why Toronto would want to acquire him.

Well, here's the problem, you're saying he'll continue playing at his "current rate" and the problem is, I was saying it's unlikely he'll deliver "elite goaltending" for the next five or six years. If you think his "current rate" (which statistically was virtually indentical to journeyman Jose Theodore who was on a much lousier team) is elite, your credibility has just gone out the window. If the best case scenario is Luongo maintains the decidedly average performance he put in last season (when he lost his starters job in the playoffs) why would any team acquire the burden on his contract? Are you starting to see the point? You can say the odds are 70-30 that he will play well into his 40's (an absurd claim, by the way because he's not even playing that well *now*) but the real question is: will he play better than Jacob Markstrom or whoever else Florida could acquire an pay $5 million a season without being handcuffed to a long burdensome contract? I think the odds of that are more like 4-96, and that's really the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Tim Thomas played every minute of every game during the Bruins run to the Cup. So... what the hell are you talking about?
Most of this has been responded to, and responded to well, the stats I had, were from a previous debate, which I will try to find, comparing the two in their runs, the great equalizer was the tbay serries, where from what I heard, as I missed most of it Thomas stank up the joint.

And again how is posting 2 shutouts crapping the bed in the finals?

Anyway, what I wanted to actually add, was, you comparison was wrong, as it was comparing to goalies in his calibur, if you look at Theodores stats, they don't compare with the exception of one maybe two years. but there is more examples of him playing at his curent rate until the age of 38. Then not. go back and look through the threads, again it has been talked about to death. You bring nothing new to this portion, just wrong comparisons.