View Single Post
Old
12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
DJ Spinoza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The calender.

It won't be made official until Hanrahan passes a physical, which wasn't too likely to happen on a weekend or on Christmas. Assuming he passes I don't expect it to be made official until the 26th or 27th.
There's also some rumblings that the final two players in the deal aren't settled, which is a bit strange. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm skeptical that this will be finalized, but it's still possible. Apparently Melancon said he wasn't told anything about being traded to the Pirates (could be irrelevant).

I'm curious what could be happening. It makes little sense to get Sands with the OF situation, and even if they trade Jones in another deal, it doesn't open up an outfield spot. I'd definitely agree with the consensus from the other thread that swapping out Jones is a big step backwards at this point.

Trying to separate things out a bit... OF should be McCutchen, Marte, and whoever can win a third spot/platoon. If Sands is here to push Snyder and Tabata, that's fine, but next year I think Marte needs to have the spot at the start of spring training.

1B could be a platoon, with the new AAAA player waiting in actual AAA.

Melancon adds some depth to the bullpen, so I guess that just leaves us with the question of the remaining two pieces. Have to reserve judgment until that happens, but it's also quite possible than Melancon could outperform Hanrahan in 2013 1v1.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote