View Single Post
Old
12-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
People on here like to blame the whole Swedish team, but Salo letting in 4 on 19 Belorussian shots always stands out - especially as the winner was from outside the blueline, and wasn't even on net until Salo jumped into it.

Kind of a related side note that I have never heard anyone mention was Lundqvist letting in 4 on 7 shots against the Slovaks in 2010. I think the Canada-Russia game happened the same day, so no one I knew even cared or noticed... but, although the Swedes looked bad in the prelims, they dominated Slovakia, and Henrik, who is a fantastic goalie, just had a horrible two periods.

I actually tried getting rid of Lundqvist in my keeper pool, as I expected him to suffer the same abuse and confidence-loss as Salo had. Somehow, it seems like no one noticed this game (possibly because Sweden hadn't looked like world beaters as they had in 02), and Henrik surprised me by coming back and playing lights out for the Rangers, immediately.
While Salo's quarterfinal included a hilariously weak game-winner, all of the goals that beat Lundqvist were legitimate scoring chances.
1st goal - PPG on a back door pass
2nd goal - an odd-man rush created when Lidstrom, of all people, made a defensive blunder.
3rd goal - a PPG through a screen
4th goal - an odd-man rush after Lidstrom turned the puck over and got caught in the offensive zone. Lundqvist made the initial save but couldn't control the rebound.

He probably could have stopped the 4th goal at least, but given that he had little chance on the PPGs, it was nowhere near the worst goaltending performance ever. It was more the fault of Lidstrom, who played a horrible game (especially by his lofty standards).

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote