View Single Post
Old
12-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
(Contingent on there being a season, obviously) I think you guys are underestimating Gonchar's worth to the Senators. After losing Filip Kuba in the offseason, and Jared Cowen to injury, the Senators blueline is already super-thin (Erik Karlsson-Marc Methot, Chris Phillips-Mike Lundin and then a whole schwack of prospects). For them to give up one of their few remaining Top 4 d-men, a team would have to pay through the nose to get him.

Pittsburgh has a number of good blueline prospects in the system (Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Maatta, Pouliot) to replace Despres on the depth chart, and Despres is the only one of those 6 to have NHL experience that could step right in to Ottawa's Top 4 right now (Ottawa would have to have someone who can step into the Top 4 right now because they're a playoff contender, not rebuilding). Therefore, if the Penguins are missing Gonchar's leadership and want him back, the cost will likely start with Despres.

Paul Martin has no value to the Senators, or any other team, after his play down the stretch last year. He's gonna need a nice stretch of play before anyone's willing to deal for him.

Now, if Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, Gonchar might come available at the deadline for much cheaper. But, if you're talking about Pittsburgh wanting him as soon as the lock-out is over, my guess is it would take Despres to get Ottawa to consider it.
Very good post. Wish some more people would have read it.

Going into this season Ottawa's line up consisted of;

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Gonchar
Phillips/Lundin

Not exactly SC calibre. Add to the fact Cowen is down for the season and it becomes weaker.

Ottawa needs Gonchar right now. If there is a season in January and the Pens want him, they will have to pay for him. If they wait till trade deadline, two things could happen. Ottawa could be in the playoff mix in which case they will not move him, or they could be out in which the Pens could get him probably for a third, although I bet GMBM will want a 2nd to replace the one we traded for Bishop.

Like some have said, if there is no season it is a moot point. You can have him as a UFA.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote