View Single Post
06-05-2006, 08:07 PM
vCash: 500
just a side note here...

I don't know how old you are, but you should really watch out for overtraining, particularly doing squats. You do too much too soon and hurt a disc, and you will be lucky to get out of a chair right, much less worry about hockey. When I used to attend hockey camps, they never really worried much about weights. You can look like a million bucks, but if you have no endurance, you're going to be on the bench while the coach goes with the guys who can hang. Plyometrics are really good. Rather than traditional squats, they used to have us line up in front of a chair, with the chair behind you. Bend your foot up in an "L" shape and rest it on the chair. Now with the leg you would be standing on, go forward like you are doing a lunge. When you reach the bottom, you jump up. Repeat that for a few reps, then switch legs. It takes a little bit to get used to without falling over, but the idea is to develope the explosive strength you need for hockey. As for "core" exercises, I would stick with the old Hockey stick over the shoulders, and twist away. That or partner up with a buddy and stand back to back and pass a medicine ball back and forth in a twisting motion. When you lift for weight, what you do is develope size. Size is great if what you are doing is trying to get big. You are trying to be a hockey player. Putting on size for the sake of size is going to slow you down. Getting your muscular endurance up will serve you far better as a player, IMO. These are just my opinions, and I'm no trainer, but I hope that it helps you. You can do a ton of things that will help you with your own body weight without ever going into a gym. It will decrease your chances of getting hurt off the ice and I think it will put you in much better shape on it.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote