Keep Calm & Corsi On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Gonchar for Despres straight up.
In NHL 12 sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
(Contingent on there being a season, obviously) I think you guys are underestimating Gonchar's worth to the Senators. After losing Filip Kuba in the offseason, and Jared Cowen to injury, the Senators blueline is already super-thin (Erik Karlsson-Marc Methot, Chris Phillips-Mike Lundin and then a whole schwack of prospects). For them to give up one of their few remaining Top 4 d-men, a team would have to pay through the nose to get him.
Then it would be wise for Ottawa not to deal him if he is that important to them.

Quote:
Pittsburgh has a number of good blueline prospects in the system (Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Maatta, Pouliot) to replace Despres on the depth chart, and Despres is the only one of those 6 to have NHL experience that could step right in to Ottawa's Top 4 right now (Ottawa would have to have someone who can step into the Top 4 right now because they're a playoff contender, not rebuilding). Therefore, if the Penguins are missing Gonchar's leadership and want him back, the cost will likely start with Despres.
So the Pens are obliged to trade a quality player because they have the luxury to? I know it is Christmas, but Shero shouldn't be that generous.

And I love the assumption made by everyone that Pittsburgh is willing to part with their D prospects. In case people missed the Philly series, the defense was ****. Why would it be ideal to trade one, let alone a guy that played well (Despres), for an over the hill veteran?

Quote:
Paul Martin has no value to the Senators, or any other team, after his play down the stretch last year. He's gonna need a nice stretch of play before anyone's willing to deal for him.

Now, if Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, Gonchar might come available at the deadline for much cheaper. But, if you're talking about Pittsburgh wanting him as soon as the lock-out is over, my guess is it would take Despres to get Ottawa to consider it.
Martin can't fetch anything after a down year, but Gonchar can command a ransom after two suspect seasons? Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Gonchar is really getting under rated in this thread.
No. He's just getting overrated/overvalued by those that want a significant return. If Gonchar is worth a 3rd rounder or Despres, then I'd be anxious to hear what Martin would fetch.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote