Thread: Goaltending
View Single Post
12-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Hammer Time
vCash: 500
When Melanson arrived in 2010-11, he advised Luongo to stand farther back in the crease to decrease the amount of skating he had to do. Luongo produced one of his two best seasons as a Canuck.

The down side of this was that Luongo was now more vulnerable to being beaten over the glove. Melanson realized this and coached Luongo to change his glove positioning in the 2011-12 season. For the first couple of months he struggled, but the rest of the season he again played like a world-class goalie, stealing wins for the team.

Cory Schneider has played very well in his two seasons as Luongo's backup. He also plays quite deep in the crease in the Melanson style.

Yes, I realize Price has gotten better since Melanson was fired in Montreal, but perhaps (gasp!) Price is simply developing naturally and entering his prime? Not to mention that Price actually had his worst year and lost his job to Halak the year after Melanson was fired?

Also, the idea of a goalie playing close to the net isn't unique to Melanson - Benoit Allaire (Rangers) also teaches that style and his pupil just won a Vezina. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that style.

Perhaps you know something I don't, but as a fan I've been noticing mostly good results from our goalies in Melanson's two seasons here. You have said your opinion, now I have said mine.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote