View Single Post
12-24-2012, 06:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The odds of getting it wrong with a CJHL player is far less than picking a Aki Berg, Joni Pitkanen, or Olli Jokinen. But to be fair Jokinen is probably the best and closest example, all SM Liiga players. All useful high picks, but none that deserved the fanfare Barkov is getting. Who knows maybe you are right and he becomes the greatest Finn since Selanne. But then again maybe Monahan becomes like Staal.
Jokinen might physically and skill-wise be closest to Barkov but mentally Barkov should be way ahead. In 1996 when Jokinen transferred from KalPa to HIFK in FEL and became the top hockey prodigy of Finland it REALLY got into his head.

I don't know what he was like in the locker room but at least outside it he was really cocky. Saying "Don't you know who I am?" in public place is always a great way to make a fool of yourself. I remember hearing that Jokinen used those words as 18-19yo when he met a famous Finnish Formula 1 driver in a nightclub.

I am quite sure Barkov doesn't have same kind of attitude problem as Jokinen did in his age. Jokinen matured in North America (maybe because of Keenan) but Barkov isn't even in need of such school.