View Single Post
Old
12-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I have a whole print out of misconceptions I give to my students. I'll try and find it after break and re-post it here. There's a lot.

Also, I'm not sure if this counts as a misconception or not but when I mention that directions such as 'up down left right, north south ect' are not real and don't mean anything in outer-space the students get all freaked out.

In connection to this, is there any established plane? I would assume the ecliptic but is that an official directional line like the equator?
Isn't that because up, down, left, right and North, South, East and West are just human identifications to help make our day-to-day life easier ? In reality, North could be East and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
This is more of a question than anything.

Can we actually draw a line, or simply a representation of a line? A line has no depth, correct? Which means it has no area. Which means it cannot be drawn or be a palpable object. So there really is no such thing as a line, right? Or am I dead wrong in this?
If you were to draw a line in sand, it would have depth, no ? It's harder to see on a piece of paper. That's if we're thinking along the same lines, otherwise I'm in left field without a glove.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote