View Single Post
Old
12-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No, I didn't say they were 'strictly' for a reference of the style of play, but if you have a player who has the abilities of a Brian Leetch, chances are he isn't a 7th defenseman and you have an idea of upside and what he can be.
you said it was a frame of reference for style of play. that's a lot different than saying someone has the abilities of a brian leetch.

there's a kid here who plays in the jr.b league. he's a smooth, fast, defenceman. gets lots of assists. smart player. plays like brian leetch. but he's never getting out of the local jr.b league. doesn't have the ability of a brian leetch.

Quote:
That said, when I hear Wings fans casually talking about Ryan Sproul as the next Shea Weber and nobody bats an eye and then people go bat**** insane at the suggestion that a top five overall pick in the Leafs organization has superstar potential, I take exception to people assuming that a lowered expectation is somehow more realistic.
i don't follow the wings board, and i honestly don't know who ryan sproul is, but i think i'd bat an eye if i saw him casually talked about as the next weber.

can you blame leafs fans for thinking a lower expectation is more realistic? is that really something to take exception to, given the history of hyped prospects we've seen ultimately fail? if not being skeptical, at least wanting to see much more evidence (as you say yourself), before claiming him a potential superstar?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote