View Single Post
Old
12-24-2012, 10:26 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

vCash: 500
Re: William H Bonney's post-Not going to go into a ton of depth because I have some WJC and features to work on, but if I don't do it now I'm bound to forget

There are a lot of rumblings (more than I remember in prior years) about guys strongly considering OHL route. Obviously there's a lot of time between now and the USHL Futures, OHL Priority, and NTDP Eval Camp so we'll see.

Evan Sarthou signed with Tri-City. Yeah, just two signings thus far, but two pretty big signings already.

I don't know if the league itself has said anything about it, but it's obvious that after seeing the other member teams screwed by the NTDP this was something in place to give them a leg up on the NTDP. I talked to two different USHL scouts in depth about the tender rule (partially because I hate it, especially after seeing how much it has ruined the start of players' junior careers in the NAHL) and they both talked about it giving all the teams a leg up on the NTDP. Last year tenders weren't really signed until after the Evaluation Camp (If I remember correctly), but we've already seen three (two would have been locks for NTDP IMO) (we'll agree to disagree on Dello).

It depends what you define as "awhile". I would agree the NTDP has started to shift their structure, but I think a lot of that may have to do with the program not being held in such high regard as it was in the past. If the NTDP would have restructured as the way I think you are talking about, we wouldn't see guys like Connor Chathams leave every year. If they know their role (a guy like Andrew Copp at Michigan comes to mind), they should stick with the program. I think it's a lot tougher to do that type of structure with a team that is generally known as the best 16 and 17 year olds from the US...hopefully that makes sense.

At this point in the season, I'd think every player on that 17 team is happy with playing at the NTDP, but a lot of that may change as players get healthy. I also found it interesting that Dylan Larkin was centering the 4th line after playing a pretty prominent role early in the season on the team. Not sure what was up with that.

Going back to the shift away from the prestige of playing for the NTDP, look at the top draft eligible players the last two years in the USHL. The USHL is definitely not being carried by the NTDP in June anymore. Yes, most players did not turn down the NTDP rather they were cut, but people see the success/are going to see the success of guys like Taylor Cammarata, Luke Johnson, Gabe Guertler, Michael Brodzinski, Ian McCoshen this June and it's going to be even more apparent that the NTDP is not the only place to get exposure in the league.

Very little organization in this post and a lot of rambling, I know.