View Single Post
Old
12-25-2012, 12:39 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I've watched a few of Maatta's games since he's been on NHL network with the Finns. Not incredibly impressed with him, but that's 90% of the appeal. He does nothing really exceptional, but everything well. IMO, he's a guy who can easily get lost in the shuffle because there's nothing he really does that stands out.

Yeah, I flip-flop back & forth between who I think will be better (and who we should keep), Maatta or Despres. It's really too soon to tell, because we need to see how Despres performs after a whole season & playoffs, and ditto for Maatta (to say nothing of how they play next year).

Here's my current list of top prospects, factoring in all things:

1) Pouliot
2) Harrington
3) Morrow*
4) Dumoulin
5-a) Despres
5-b) Maatta

* next to Morrow means that he has the highest upside, and I have had Pouliot & Morrow ranked #'s 1 and 2 on my list until now, but seeing Harrington take his game to an even higher level this year, and Morrow (albeit expectedly) struggling somewhat, means that Harrington has jumped to #2 on my list.

Getting back to the statement that Harrington would make a great partner for Letang: yes, he would obviously. But the thing is, Harrington really does have offensive upside. He is just SOOO good defensively, that he gets used in that role, and he'll never use & develop his offense if he plays with a pure offensive guy (i.e. Letang or Pouliot).

If, on the other hand, Harrington can find some chemistry with a guy like Bortuzzo/Dumoulin/Despres or someone of the sort (i.e. a two-way guy who can also play shut-down role), then Harrington could be the one to jump up in the play. And when Harrington does so, he uses his elite smarts to make great decisions and great reads. If he develops good chemistry wth one of those guys, we could have a Suter-Weber or Keith-Seabrook situation in that both guys on the pair are capable of jumping in, but have enough chemistry to read each other and know who's jumping up and who's staying back on any given play -- and it will go back & forth from shift to shift.

That's the exact role I'd like to see Harrington in one day, because while he is great as a shutdown guy, he has so much more potential than that.