View Single Post
Old
12-25-2012, 12:51 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I still believe he is NHL ready. He could instantly bolster their PP and transition game. If he played sheltered minutes like Despres did, I believe he wouldn't be a trainwreck.

Playing with elite talent, Morrow would be more of an asset than he is in WBS, where there is a dearth of talent.

Guys like Bort, Strait, Despres and Dumoulin deserve a chance before him, so he may be in WBS for a couple of yrs. The talent ahead of him is more likely to keep him in WBS, than his inability to handle NHL minutes.

I have no problem with him staying in WBS, but if their PP is ass again, I would hope he is brought up to see what he can do.

NO! This is a short-sighted view. I would NOT compromise Joe's long-term development because our PP could use a bit slapshot right now. I'd rather trade for Gonchar...

I don't want Morrow, or Despres, to have to play "sheltered" minutes in the NHL right now. These are guys who should eventually be top-pairing, #1 or #2 Dmen at the NHL level -- and the only way we will be able to know this is if they become all-star, Norris calibre (or equivalent) Dmen at the AHL level, playing 25 minutes per night, in all situations. Morrow will never learn how to play in all areas of the game if he only plays sheltered minutes.

I am adamant about the fact that a prospect should not be brought up unless they are dominating (or at least playing a complete game, which Morrow isn't) at the AHL level. Let's wait for these guys to become more complete and consistent players until we bring them up.

The only reason Harrington may be an exception is because he is SOO dominant at the junior level (and because of his elite hockey sense), that I believe he does not need time in the minors to "refine his game". If he plays any time there, it will be just a numbers game. He could have played in the NHL THIS season (if there was a season), and he can DEFINITELY play in the NHL next season. So if Despres & Dumoulin are proving they are too good for WBS (possible, but hasn't happened yet, especially with Despres), then it's possible Harrington spends 1 season tops in the AHL. But it won't be because he's not ready. And if he does go there, I hope they use him in a very offensive role (1st unit PP time) to help develop that part of his game.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote