View Single Post
Old
12-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Regional Associations

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
I'm wondering if this is a pattern as hockey has 'modernized' over the past 30 years. Are there less players coming from small towns and more coming from larger cities now? Is this because organized training has taken the place of pure opportunity on ice? I suspect so. It certainly would account for some of the lack of creativity we see now in the NHL. Personally I attribute that more to the systems coaches employ these days that restrict creativity than to organized training.
30 - 50 years ago you had small town youth hockey associations across Canada. Since then the small town associations have been merged into large regional youth hockey associations. Roughly a 15-20 to 1 ratio in parts of rural Quebec.

Upside is that the teams get more quality ice time without weaknesses in the coaching. Talent plays with and against talent.

The creativity is slowly coming back,Sidney Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, John Tavares, Nathan Mackinnon, Connor McDavid,Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin,just some of the talented creative Canadian forwards plus a solid core of puck moving defensemen.

NHL is quickly filtering out the slugs - accelerated by the lockout.

Coaching has to change somewhat to reflect the disappearing slugs.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote