View Single Post
Old
12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
He'd be starting from scratch - no monitor, no keyboard, only a basic USB mouse. I should clarify that my dad works in telecomms and would be able to get OS and basic software for my brother, if he were to build a computer himself. $1.5k is the max he would budget, ideally the build would be closer to $1k.

From what I gather, adding monitor + keyboard + sound could add ~$250 to the build.
Certainly could. Do you know if he's going to be willing to upgrade the system down the line? That makes a big difference on the type of build I would suggest at 1k.

With that in mind here is what I came up with anyway. At this point were getting to the level where you have to start knocking down the video card to save money. Right now I'm at 1,242.40 with monitor and speakers included.

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/Pub...umber=18821371

Basically the changes are I went with the AMD CPU. Dropped to a GTX 670. Removed SSD. Decreased the power supply. Got a cheaper case. And just for reference I added a monitor and speaker set. I can't speak to their quality but I've always liked budget Acer monitors.

Also whenever you decide on the type of parts you want, its much easier to look around other stores like NCIX, Amazon, and locally to find the best prices. Probably some sales going on right now.