View Single Post
12-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Mayor Bee
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Can someone with full internet access post one of those "Brace Yourselves..." image-macro memes with the tag line: "...for rants from Columbus fans."
Not really.

Columbus in the last couple of years basically comes down to a small number of trades, and the reason why you haven't seen this thread flooded with our fans.

Voracek, 8th overall, 3rd-rounder for Jeff Carter - This eventually turned into Jack Johnson and the 2013 first-rounder from the Kings. Johnson played like a man possessed down the stretch for Columbus, and looks like he may have broken through. The first-rounder obviously remains to be seen. As for the pieces going to Philly...look, we all saw Voracek in Columbus. He looked the same last year as he did as a 19-year-old rookie. Maybe he breaks through, maybe he doesn't. I think we all recognize this, and he was one of our most popular players. Couturier (taken with the 8th pick) had serious questions when he was drafted about whether his offense would carry over into the NHL, and it's way too early to tell if this ends up being the case.

The Rick Nash trade - Long on rumors and speculation, and a limited basis in fact. The rumors for the entire saga was that the Rangers offered five excellent pieces at the trade deadline (rejected by Columbus), and yet Columbus said as soon as the Rangers finally added a fourth piece, the deal was made. The rumor was that Ottawa was offering Foligno and Zibanejad; Columbus got Foligno anyway at the cost of Marc Methot. Zibanejad has had concussion problems and there's a good chance he never amounts to anything as a result. San Jose was rumored to have offered Pavelski; several others in the know have said that the biggest piece going back was Ryane Clowe.

In any case, it's way too early to see what happens. If Dubinsky fits in on the second line, can he score 50-60 points? Can Anisimov log big minutes and produce? Can Erixon make the roster right off the bat? And what becomes of the first-rounder?

Klesla and Byers for Upshall and Lepisto - I never fully appreciated Klesla until he was gone; I fell into the trap that I always try to avoid (focus on what a player can do rather than what he can't.) But at the end of the day, Klesla was a second-pairing defenseman and will never be anything more than that.

Jason Chimera for Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina - Supposedly there were some solid offers for Jurcina at the deadline before the extent of his injury was known. Clark did nothing, which is still more than Chimera ever did. Chimera is basically a slightly better version of Rico Fata.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote