View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I thought the make whole provision was to assure the players, that they wouldn't lose salary in another rollback. Can anyone confrim this?

I've read a couple of different cap proposals have been discussed..one would have the cap stay at $70m for the 2012-2013 season, then have the cap drop to $60m for the 2013-2014 season. The OP's proposal calls for Gaborik to be dealt in the summer of 2013. With the cap dropping in 2013-2014, it would limit the number of teams in the mix for Gaborik, with cheaper options available 1 week after a proposed Gaborik draft weekend trade.
They won't lose (too much) salary, but the cap hit would remain rolled back. All FA's signed after the CBA is agreed upon, however, would not have their contracts rolled back, as they would already be subject to a cap that represents a 50% share.

It's a rollback that varies in relation to how much the players current cut of revenue ($1.88 billion) is compared to 50% of total revenues. So as the league continues to grow (hopefully) the rollback would change. For example it could be 12% in year 1, 6% in year 2 and 2% in year 3. Once $1.88 billion becomes equivalent to 50% of league revenues, then current contracts are no longer subject to a rollback, and the players total share will increase as total revenue increases (where before it would remain as is, minus whatever was not returned through "make whole").

Then, a fixed amount of the money that is taken away through the rollbacks, as determined by the "make whole" agreement, would be returned to the players. At least that's how I understand it.

Gaborik's cap hit would therefore be a constant percentage of the cap (which means the cap hit would vary with the growth of the cap ceiling) until the cap returns to where it is now ($70 million), where his hit would be what it is now. So if he gets traded during the "rollback period" it doesn't make much of a difference (except to teams who can't afford to pay his real salary).

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote