View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
So what you're saying is he would be a tremendous asset for a terrible Pitt PP but because he's playing with inferior players he's not helping the WBS PP.
It seems to me that a great player should make the other players around him better. He's had plenty of opportunety, he's been on the first PP every time he's been in the lineup. His play on the PP in not the reason he's been scratched.
He's not ready for the NHL but you insist he could play right now. Well any of the players on WBS could be thrown into to Pitt line up and play marginal minutes right now. That doesn't mean they would help the team win.
And as far as Despres goes, he's doing just fine in the AHL. I don't know what all the posters are saying Despres hasn't played well. I don't know where that's coming from. I think it's just stat watchers. You can't evaluate a player by just looking at his stats. Look at Grant, he had a tremendous season stat wise, last year. He can't even break into the line up this year.
Only truly elite players like Crosby and Malkin can make marginal talent look better and as we all know, that doesn't always happen, as both have struggled for yrs to find chemistry with the inferior players put on their lines.

So, yep I'm beyond certain Morrow would look much better with elite talent than the woeful talent in the A. It is also easier, as Despres even said, to play with NHLers because they cover for your mistakes and show you things that you simply can't learn in the A.

Morrow is also fighting for ice time with grizzled A vets like Bort and Strait who should be in the NHL. You won't see consistency from a young player learning a new system, until he gets consistent ice time. I've seen that over and over again throughout the years.

Many young blueliners need to stay in the A, but kids like Letang, Morrow and Despres are exceptions to the rule because of their strength, skating, and offensive games. Once again NHL ready does not mean he is ready to be in the top four. He isn't anymore of a trainwreck in the A than Martin and Michalek were in the NHL.

As far as Despres, I didnt mention his play this year so referencing that in a reply to me makes zero sense. I am talking about last season and he definetly didn't look good or deserve a callup. In fact last season you insisted he was "bad" and wasn't NHL ready at all.

If you want to claim Despres didn't play MUCH better in the NHL than the A, then I suggest you take your own advice on stat watching. He was struggling last season in the A, there is no way to sugar coat that. He struggled in camp and it carried over into his play throughout the Fall.

There was no way he should have been called up based on his play in WBS.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote