View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
JackFr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
BTW Malkin is the man, he's got 2 Art Ross, 1 Hart and Lindsay/ Pearson to Crosby's 1 Art Ross, 1 Hart and 1 Lindsay/ Pearson.

Malkin also has better scoring finishes than Crosby (3 top 2 finishes for Malkin compared to Crosby who was top 2 twice).
While not disagreeing with the idea that Geno's the man, you can't use that to compare them as players.

In 2011 Crosby undoubtedly gets the Hart, Pearson, and Art Ross, maybe the Rocket. He'd have to cool off to 35 points in 41 games not to, and I can't see him doing that. In the same season, Malkin wasn't even PPG before his injury.

People also forget that Crosby had a mediocre beginning to that season. His tear starting in November through December was ridiculous, but for the beginning of that season it was the Brent Johnson show. People on the Penguins board were panicking at the lack of scoring. In October he had 15 points in 12 games. In the remaining 29 he had 51, a 1.79 PPG. After one scoreless game against the Islanders (a tight-checking game), he gets concussed in the first period of the Winter Classic, and scores 1 point in the next two games.

I think his dominance over the league (which, by the way, he picked up on as soon as he came back) would have continued over much of the rest of the season. I say he ends up with around 120 points on the season with around 55 goals.

Obviously these are hypotheticals. My point is that if this thread intends to diminish Crosby's half season, it fails to take a lot into account (including different scoring levels, his lead over his competition, and his mediocre start.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote