View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing is, the Pens currently have 8 NHL defensemen, as Bortuzzo and Strait cannot be sent back down as they are waiver eligible. Sarge is a good stop gap, you are correct, but I don't find him a necessary stop gap, and a lot of Pens fans feel the same.

Like I said, I think the better option is to run with what the organization has, and visit the Gonchar scenario in the offseason when he's a free agent. Then maybe the team will know where they stand with Strait and Bortuzzo.
I think he's ideal for half season. What the Pens need most is help on the PP and he brings that along with a locker room leadership presence. With a short season every game is going to be that much more important. We have plenty of D-men and it wouldn't hurt us at all to part with one or two, IMO. None of them bring what Gonchar could bring in a short season and we have the cap room. I'm not sure I would even want him back next year unless it was a one year contract at a greatly reduced price. He's exactly the type of rental player you want.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote