View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 05:39 PM
pappyline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Transparency is definitely a good thing.

I think Hawkey Town made a great point in Post 195 when he asked if any goalie left other than perhaps Fuhr accomplished more in a 10 year period than Tom Barrasso did. After examining the goalies left, I think Chuck Rayner is the only one with a record over 10 years that can compare, depending on how much credit you want to give him for the war years. I don't think Rayner can get full credit like someone like Brimsek or Milt Schmdt, who was a star for years both before and after the war. But Rayner needs to get some credit, as he was a 3rd Team AS the season before the War, and a star-calibre player for years afterwards. This isn't Ken Reardon, who was a star for years after the war, but didn't get any recognition beforehand, Rayner did get recognition before the war, but only in his final season before leaving.

I'm leaning towards Rayner over Barrasso just because of the Hart Trophy, but I think it says something that Barrasso had a 10 year stretch that probably compares favorably to everyone else left but Fuhr.

As for the HHOF, I think Barrasso would have already been inducted if he wasn't such a jerk to the media and sometimes his teammates. The HHOF normally would not keep out someone who was a 5-time Vezina finalist (with 1 win) who won 2 Cups (and not as a passenger).

It's possible that I'm trying too hard to have another "modern" goalie added sooner rather than later, but I think Barrasso's record stands up well against almost anyone who is left.
Actually, I am kind of shocked to see Barrasso up for votes so early and being promoted as a top 30 guy no less. To me, this would be the second big mistake, Even worse than Billy Smith as a top 25 guy.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote